How To Become a Marketing Guru
Monday, April 03, 2006
  Hard work never killed a guru
Step 7. Hard work

In our last post we decided there is no such thing as hard work when you are doing the right work - work you love, work you would do in your own time, work that is recreation, work you have a passion for. It's only hard work to an outsider who doesn't have the bug.
When you're enjoying yourself, it's amazing how you find short cuts. How opportunities open up for you. WHen I discovered Marketing was my dharma, I became a magnet for information. People gave me stuff out of the blue.
A mate working in an ad agency told me they were throwing out a tea chest full of back issues of an industry magazine. Hey presto! I read the tea chest and suddenly I knew who the key players were, what the big issues were, and where the bodies were buried.
I read 12 metres of magazines I found on a university library shelf that no one else knew existed. I found in the pages of mags like Industrial Marketing (which became Business Marketing, then B2B) and Sales & Marketing Management whole marketing blockbuster ideas that were lost to the sands of time. When the time was ripe, I dusted them down and polished them up and presented them with pinache. And was declared a 'genius'.
That's a good start for gurudom.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Michael Kiely, CMG., is Australia's only official Marketing Guru. His guru status has been certified by the International College of Certified Marketing Gurus. He is the only marketing practitioner qualified to use the letters CMG after his name. Beware of cheap imitations. To sign up for "Guru Michael's Marketing Thought For The Day" -a free email service - visit www.michaelkielymarketing.com.au.

ARCHIVES
April 2006 / May 2006 /


Powered by Blogger

  • •••THE MARKETING GURU'S DAILY PEARLS OF WISDOM•••
  • •••THE MARKETING GURU'S BIG BLOOPERS•••